Parents should be aware of the following information regarding school bus service:
- Students should be at the bus stop at least 10 minutes before the normal pick-up time. When the bus is late, students should wait at least 10 minutes after the normal pick-up time.
- Parents are responsible for the behaviour and safety of their children at bus stops.
- Parents will be responsible for willful damage to school buses caused by their children.
- Parents must provide a written note to the principal if their child is to be picked up or returned home by any route other than the one normally taken or if their child is to be let off at a stop other than his/her regular stop.
- School buses are equipped with video cameras for student and driver safety. School Board Policy states that the bus driver is the final authority in all matters relating to the safety and well-being of passengers (for example, the carrying of skateboards, scooters and like items).
- Unloading Buses: All drivers are reminded that no vehicle shall pass a school bus from either direction when its red lights are flashing. Where no pull-off is provided, the bus will stop on the highway and use the RED FLASHING LIGHTS to warn traffic that it is discharging students. The students MUST NOT CROSS WITH THE LIGHTS, but wait until the bus leaves and then cross the highway when it is safe to do so.
Severe Weather Service
In the event road conditions such as ice or snow make it unsafe or impossible for school buses to enter all areas usually served, bus service may be limited. Every effort will be made to notify parents in the event limited service becomes necessary.