Google Apps for Education (GAFE) are a suite of productivity tools that can be used for classroom collaboration. Students' Google Apps for Education use is intended to aid in the educational process and facilitate the instruction of digital, and online-based skills in order to better equip students for the working world.
Who can get a SD69 GAFE account?
Google Apps for Education is a hosted service that is managed by the district. It is managed by SD69 system administrators. Any staff in School District 69 can request a GAFE account. In order for students to have access to a GAFE account, they need to have a signed informed consent. Please click the link to download the 'GAFE Student Consent Letter'. Teachers will initiate and manage parent and student consent when creating student GAFE accounts.
What are Google Apps for Education?
School District 69 (Qualicum) is excited to offer staff and students in Grade K - 12 a Google Apps for Education account. Google Apps for Education consists of the following tools: Classroom, Gmail, Drive, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides and Sites.
The use of the Google Apps for Education service is not an educational requirement for students. Students will not be obliged to use these digital tools, and all school activities that rely on the use of these digital tools must allow for and accept alternate and equivalent means of student participation.
Prior to use, students and parents must fill out the district 'GAFE Student Consent Letter ' requesting parental consent.
Why Google Apps for Education?
There are many benefits of using Google Apps for Education:
- GAFE is completely free for educational institutions.
- It is very easy to collaborate using GAFE. Documents, email, calendars, spreadsheets and sites can be accessed and edited any time.
- Work offline with documents.
- Share files/documents/documents with students and collaborate in real time.\
- Receive and provide feedback on student assignments.
- Can be used on any device (computer, phone, tablet).
- It is available 24/7 provided an internet connection is available.
- Education accounts have unlimited storage capacity in Google Drive.
- GAFE provides numerous security features that have been designed to keep data safe and secure.
- It is a "Green" alternative. Commenting and creating can be done online.
For more information on GAFE productivity tools click on the products link -https://www.google.com/edu/products/productivity-tools/
For more information on SD69 (Qualicum) Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) please click on the link to see the document in its entirety.
SD69 (Qualicum) wishes to thank the Yukon, Delta, Maple Ridge, Greater Victoria and other school districts for their collaboration and support in assisting with the completion of Privacy Impact Assessment and supporting documents.