Each year a number of scholarships, bursaries and monetary awards are made available to students by local organizations and private sources. Some of the scholarships and bursaries are granted on the basis of academic achievement and citizenship. Some have special requirements such as financial need, excellence in sports, or specific vocational pursuits. The final date for most applications is the middle of April. Students should see the grade 12 counsellor for details. A number of District scholarships up to $1000 each may be won by students who will be enrolled in a vocational/trades based program.
Students should check with the Counselling Department or write to the Post-Secondary institution of their choice for a booklet listing scholarships and bursaries.
2018-2019 SCHOLARSHIP AND OTHER INFORMATION
** Scholarships are listed by due date **
BC Excellence Scolarship - Applications closed for 2019
Les Dames Scholarship - Applications closed for 2019
Culinary, beverage and hospitality SCHOLARSHIPS for women!
The BC Chapter of Les Dames d'Escoffier annually grants scholarships to women in our industry. Scholarships are awarded based on merit, ability, commitment and passion, and may range in value between $300 and $2000
Applications are accepted October 1st through January 31st each year and are awarded in March. Applicants must be B.C. residents. Full information can be found here: www.lesdames.ca/scholarship-program/
Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship - Applications closed for 2019
Stacey Levitt Memorial Award - Deadline March 1st, 2019
Canadian Owners and Pilots Association - Neil Armstrong Scholarship - Deadline March 1st, 2019 - Link to Apply Neil Armstrong Scholarship
Project Management Institute High School Challenge - Deadline TBA
BC Hydro Power Pioneers Community Service Award - Deadline March 31st, 2019
Peiter De Reuver Award - Deadline April 4th, 2019 to school counsellor
Coast Capital Savings Standing Tall Award - Deadline April 11th, 2019 to school counsellor
Nanaimo Airport Commission Scholarship - Deadline April 11th, 2019 to school counsellor
Public Guardian and Trustee Educational Assistance Fund - Deadline April 15th, 2019
VIU General Entrance Scholarships - Deadline March 31 2019
UFCW & OFG Joint Diversity Scholarship - Deadline May 1st, 2019:
BC Dairy Association Scholarship - Deadline May 6th, 2019 Link to apply
BC School Sports Scholarships (Dave Gifford and Zone Scholarships):
Bert & Greta Quartermaine Badminton Scholarship - Deadline May 6th, 2019:
M'akola Development Services - Judy Bourne Scholarship - Deadline TBA
Clean Energy BC Student Scholarship - Deadline TBA
BC Road Builders and Heavy Construction Association, Betty Spalton Scholarships - Deadline May 31st, 2019:
Victoria Residential Builder's Association - Herman Rebneris Student Carpentry Award -
ASTSBC Commercial Heavy Duty Mechanic Scholarship - Deadline June 30, 2019
Grad Planner:Dogwood Planner:
Provincial Exam Bulletin:
Student Awards Canada (YCONIC): http://www.studentawards.com/.
Scholarships Canada: http://www.scholarshipscanada.com/.
Campus Access: www.campusaccess.com.
Fast Web: www.fastweb.com.
Student Scholarships: www.studentscholarships.org.
U.S.A. Scholarships and Schools: www.college-scholarships.com.
Indigenous Scholarships: http://www.ammsa.com/content/altalink-aboriginal-scholarship-program
Vancouver Island University:
VIU December-March Frequently Asked Questions
When should I apply to VIU?
- At this time of the year, the answer is often "as soon as possible". Check the Program Availability List for program-specific information.
- Students can apply to more than one program. Though there is an application fee for each application, back-up or alternate plans are encouraged and highly advised for students applying to limited enrollment programs.
- Application date can affect registration date and the likelihood of finding seats in desired courses. Specific academic program application periods will begin closing soon. The best place to find out this information is to look on the Program Availability List. For trades programs, applications are accepted on an on-going basis but delaying application can result in waitlists for desired start date. Intakes fill as applicants meet the requirements so applications are encouraged to programs of interest. Students can defer admission if you unsure or unready.
What do I do now that I have applied?
How do I submit interim transcripts for admission?
- Students should carefully read all communications from Admissions as they may need to provide an official hard copy transcript for some programs, particularly those with a competitive admission process or those requiring evidence of admission requirements prior to the completion of the grade 12 year.
- Students applying to VIU for the fall after their graduation may be able to save the hassles of providing official hard copy transcripts by completing their Post-Secondary Institution (PSI) Selections function on the Ministry of Education Student Secure Web. Students planning on post-secondary in the fall after graduation are strongly encouraged to complete this online form.
- Limited enrollment programs like Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Criminology Diploma, or Resource Management Officer Technology require interim or final marks by a date indicated in communications to applicants and also in the Program Availability List. There is no special form for this. A school interim report or any document made official by school official signature may be used and submitted to the Admissions and Registration Department. Teachers providing interim marks should be aware that admission decisions are based on these interim marks and these decisions are not changed when final marks are received as long as minimum admission requirements are met.
How do I access my student record?
- All matters related to Registration are dealt with through Student Record. This can be accessed simply via my.viu.ca or the top right hand corner of viu.ca. Students can look for offers of admission, communications, web registration information, etc.
- Registration Services also provides a Bulletin for each semester and additional information on course registration, tuition, tax receipts, etc.
How will I finance my post-secondary plans?
- VIU Financial Aid and Assistance is happy to help you with your questions. Check their website for supports in budgeting your year. Email: email@example.com
- Have a look at the VIU Entrance Awards and be sure to check the deadline. You will apply through your online student record so make sure you familiarize yourself with this.
- Students interested in applying for student loans should familiarize themselves with Student Aid BC.
What supports are available to me at VIU?
Can I visit campus and learn more about programs and VIU?
Vancouver Island University Connections
Various activities and program information sessions happening over the next few months. Bookmark the VIU Events page to make sure you don't miss out. https://www.viu.ca/events/
How to connect with VIU:
a. General inquiries connect with the Office of Enrolment Management at 250.753.3245, Local 2088 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit campus to get a current student prospective on why VIU is for you. For registration and options: https://connect.viu.ca/visit-options.
b. Students ready to plan for September 2018 connect with Advising at 250-740-6410 or email@example.com The Educational Advisor assigned to Ballenas Secondary is Shawn O'Toole
c. Application status and documentation questions connect with the Registration Centre at 250.740.6400 or firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Victoria:
- View book: https://account.you.ubc.ca/ubc/htmlemailupload/UBC-ViewBook.pdf
- Admission requirements, financial support, events, how to apply: http://you.ubc.ca/admissions/canadian-highschools/bc-yukon/
- UBC Admissions Blog: http://you.ubc.ca/admissions/blog/
- Online Information Sessions: you.ubc.ca/ubc/online-sessions
- Destination UBC: http://you.ubc.ca/destination-ubc.
Simon Fraser University:
- Apply on-line: areyousfu.ca (click on "Apply Now")
- Additional information / application requirements for scholarships: sfu.ca/students/financialaid/entrance/canadianhs/es-appreq
- Important Dates
- Online sites:
- BCIT Entrance Award package: bcit.ca/finaid
- Important Dates:
University of the Fraser Valley
UFV Annual High School Liaison Day: TBA
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Sites: (www.kwantlen.ca/futurestudents.html) (www.kwantlen.ca/events) (www.kwantlen.ca/apply)
Quest University Canada
Trinity Western University
- Important Dates:
- Sites: (twu.ca/visit)
University of Northern British Columbia:
- Calendar: unbc.ca/calendar, Events: unbc.ca/events, videos: youtube.com/unbcnews, Financial Aid: unbc.ca/financial-aid
- Important Dates:
Vancouver Community College:
Ontario Universities: The website of the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) is an important resource. There are links to the online application and frequently asked questions, as well as other useful tools for planning your post-secondary education. www.ouac.on.ca/ouac-105/.
- Online sites:
- Admission Information: carleton.ca/howtoapply
- Visits: Carleton.ca/hs-visits
- Ask Carleton: admissions.carleton.ca/ask
- Online sites:
- Important Dates:
University of Alberta:
- Online Sites: admissions.ualberta.ca, uab.ca/reg101