"The Dual-credit Program provides a stimulating environment to help students succeed..."
Why wait to graduate Grade 12?
High school students can work on dual-credit post-secondary courses or programs at a number of different institutions in BC. Dual-credit courses transition students from secondary school to the workplace while earning both high school graduation and post-secondary credits and/or certifications.
What is Head Start?
Students are enrolled as both post-secondary students and high school students as they participate in apprenticeship training and post-secondary courses, earning dual-credits that count towards both their high school diploma and their post-secondary diploma, degree or apprenticeship certification.
Who it's for
Students who need learning opportunities outside of high school and who would benefit from a college or apprenticeship experience.
How it helps
Students have the opportunity to:
• Gain experience that will help them with their post-secondary education or apprenticeship
• Get a head start on learning and training for their future careers
• Have post-secondary tuition fees waived while enrolled in high school
• Earn high school course credits towards graduation
• Earn post-secondary credits towards a diploma or certificate
Grade 11 and 12 secondary school graduation credits are earned concurrently with completion of dual-credit course work. For each 10 weeks of post-secondary course work successfully completed, students earn 8 equivalent secondary school graduation credits. Completion of a full program will earn students 32 secondary school credits.
Each program has its own specific academic entrance requirements, but in general students will need the following to be considered:
- Under 19 years of age as of June 30th, or
- Enrolled in a current graduation program - see each program for specific courses
- Minimum marks as outlined by VIU, NIC & TRU.
- Good marks within the core subject areas required for admission to VIU, NIC & TRU
- A strong commitment to the chosen program as a long-term career choice
- Demonstrated maturity and group work skills
Application forms can be picked up at your school's Career Centre or can be downloaded here, and returned to your Career Centre when complete.
Head Start Application.pdf