Schools reopen Tuesday, September 4, 2018 (Regular start time - dismiss three hours early) - Please see individiual school websites for further details.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL STUDENTS (GRADE 1 TO GRADE 7): All students in attendance on the first day of school.
KINDERGARTEN START-UP: Parents of incoming Kindergarten students should be in communication with their child's school regarding specific days and times for Kindergarten start-up as a number of elementary schools implement a "Reconnecting Start: for students during the first week of school. "Reconnecting Start" allows children to connect to their school through a variety of learning activitivies.
SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS (GRADE 8): Students in grades 8 are to be in attendance on the first day of school.
SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS (GRADE 9 TO GRADE 12): Grade 9 - 12 students to be in attendance on the first day of school by appointment ONLY via their school's Counselling Department.
All Secondary School students to be in attendance on Wednesday, September 5, 2018
SCHOOL BUS INFORMATION: Bus passes are mandatory for all students riding to and/or from school. Please see Transportation for further details as well as for Bus Schedule information.
NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION:
School District 69 is pleased to welcome new studenst to the district. In-person registration is required at your neighbourhood (catchment) school.
STUDENT REGISTRATION WINDOW IS FROM MONDAY, AUGUST 27 - FRIDAY, AUGUST 31, 2018.
**Elementary school registration times are between the hours of 9:00 am and 12:00 noon.
**Secondary school registration times are between the hours of 9:00 and 12:00 noon as well as between the hours of 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm.
**PASS/Woodwinds and Continuing Educaiton Centre (CEC): Applications for enrollment are accepted throughout the school year
**Collaborative Education Alternative Program (CEAP): For information regarding registration in our distance learning program, please contact CEAP at either email@example.com or 250-752-5628.
Parents of students wishing to attend a school outside of their catchment area are required to complete the appropriate "ApplicatIon for Cross-boundary Enrollment" form (see below).
Parents are reminded that all children aged 6 to 16 years who are being educated at home (Home Education) MUST be registered at a school on or before September 30.
To determine your catchment area school, go to School Locator and search by street address.
|DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR REGISTRATION:|
|Acceptable documentation for Proof of Legal Identity:|
- Birth Certificate or Birth Certificate with English Translation; or
- BC Services Card (PHOTO Version only); or
- Permanent Resident Card; or
- Passport or VISA; or
- BC Identification Card or Driver's License
|Additional Documentation, if applicable:|
- Government issued adoption papers;
- Filed custody/guardianship Court Orders (student identified within Order)
|Documentation for proof of being "Ordinarily Resident" for student and parent/legal guardian:|
- British Columbia Medical Services Plan (PHOTO Version only) coverage for parent/legal guardian and ONE item from the following list of supporting documentation; or
- Proof of application for BCMSP for parent/legal guardian and THREE items from the following list of supporting documentation (Registration is not complete until BCMSP coverage is confirmed)
|Supporting Documentation for proof of being "Ordinarily Resident":|
While each of the following indicators alone are not enough to establish residency for the purpose of Section 82 of the School Act, the larger the number of the positive indicators, the more likely it is that the qualifications for Ordinarily Resident are met and the student qualifies for government funded public education.
- Ownership of a dwelling or a long-term lease or rental of a dwelling;
- Legal documents indicating British Columbia residence;
- Provincial Driver's License (NOTE: BC Driver's License and Services Card is considered one piece of identification, not two);
- A current income tax return filed as a BC resident.
- Most recent Progress (Report) cards from previous school
- Student's Immunization Records since Birth and any other important health documents. Please note that while immunization records are not required for registration, a copy may be requested for the student file.
Please note that is the responsibility of parents / guardians to ensure that the child's school is aware of any life threatening medical problems your child may have. This includes any change in condition for those students already on our Medical Alert file. Parents are to provide the school with the child's medication in the original container and clearly marked with the student's name. Please check the expiration date of all medications. If the medication requires administration (i.e. injection) it is important that those charged with the procedure have the proper training. Please call the Health Unit at 250-947-8242 for assistance.
- Mid January: Sibling French Immersion Kindergarten
- Late January - Early February: Kindergarten and Programs of Choice Registration
- First Monday in February up to and including the last Friday in March prior to Spring Break: 'Application for Cross-Boundary Enrollment for Following School Year'
- Late August: New Student Registration for September
The district cannot guarantee that new students registering after June 1st the previous year will be accommodated at their neighbourhood school. Students may be moved to another school up to and including the last day in September if space availability at their neighbourhood school is a problem. This will occur only if absolutely necessary, and will be based on the order in which registrations are received (last in, first moved).
Should this situation arise, students will be moved to the closest school available. Transportation requirements can be reviewed with the District Office.
Parents of students wishing to attend a school outside of their catchment area next year are required to submit an "Application for Cross-boundary Enrollment for Following School Year" form. Forms are available at schools.
"Applications for Cross-boundary Enrollment for Following School Year" must be submitted during the months of February and March (First Monday in February up to, and including, the last Friday in March prior to Spring Break). Early applications will not be accepted.
- Cross-boundary requests submitted outside the noted time frame must be by way of "Application for Late Cross-boundary Enrollment" form.
District students making a cross-boundary application must FIRST be registered at their catchment school prior to being able to be considered for cross-boundary enrollment.
Siblings of previously approved continuing cross-boundary students may apply directly to the cross-boundary school during this time frame only. If cross-boundary application is outside of this time frame, siblings of previously approved continuing cross-boundary students must register at their catchment school, based on their home address, and submit an "Application for Late Cross-boundary Enrollment" form.
A student who has spent the previous school year in an approved cross-boundary placement at a District 69 school will be deemed to be a catchment area student for the duration of his/her attendance at the school. This status will be retained upon transition to the secondary school which students from that school would normally attend based on district catchment areas (A second cross-boundary application is not required for this transition).
Wherever possible, requests will be approved. The District does, however, reserve the right to rescind any approved cross-boundary transfers up to and including September 30. The decision to return a student to his/her catchment area school will be based on current legislation regarding class sizes and Board Policy 7015.
Transportation for a student choosing to attend a non-catchment school or District program is the responsibility of the parent.
Access to District Programs, are not subject to the cross-boundary application process. Access to these programs are based on availability of space, resources, and staffing. A cross-boundary application is not required.
For further help or information, please check with your local school, or contact the District office at 250-248-4241.